This updated slim PS4 runs the exact same as the base model PS4, but with better power efficieny and noise reduction. It has a good budget price point, and a build quality on par with existing models.
- Thinner form factor with softened corners and an all-matte finish
- Approximately 40 per cent smaller, with dimensions of 26.5cm x 26.5cm x 3.8cm compared to the launch PS4's 27.5cm x 30cm x 5.3cm.
- Physical power and eject buttons housed just below the disc drive
- Light bar removed in favour of a light on the new power button
- Two USB 3.0 ports positioned apart from one another on the front of the device
- The base of the console has multiple 'legs' made of protruding plastic in the shape of iconic PlayStation symbols
- The PlayStation square, triangle, circle, and cross symbols are stamped on the side of the console, with the circle also acting as part of the attachment for the stand
Major Differences between the consoles are as follows:
- Removal of the Optical Out port on the rear of the console
- An updated DualShock 4 controller that comes packaged in the box (though other model DualShock 4 controllers are compatiable)
- Two hard drive options - standard 500GB, or an increased capacity of 1TB
- The ability to change hard drives with a dedicated panel on the back
- New hard drive supplier - Toshiba MQ01ABD050 2.5-inch but the same 5400rpm speeds
- Reduction in fan noise, heat, and power consumption (around 41% less power)
- WiFi Improvements - 5GB IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac supported (also available with the Pro model)